Monthly Archives: April 2018

Spring Projects – Yurt Cover Protection

Another project that needed attending to this spring was the protection of Alan’s yurt cover. The cover was originally made from a reclaimed billboard, sewn into yurt-cover-shape and then painted grey with regular exterior latex house paint. That was in 2009, so it really has lasted a long time, all things considered. Last summer, we observed that the roof material had developed pinprick holes everywhere, and water was getting in. By this past winter, it was possible to see daylight through the roof in the thinner areas.

So we brainstormed solutions, from “buy a new cover” (expensive) down to “repaint it and hope that helps” and settled on repainting it — but with an elastomeric roof coating, the kind of thing used on flat vinyl roofs.

It took three people one entire day — also not bad for a project on this scale.

It is very white now, but we are pleased to report that daylight no longer gets through the roof! As soon as it ever rains again, we’ll know if water can still get in, but I’m betting this worked. It should extend the life of the cover by a few years, hopefully long enough for us to be able to invest in a new one!

spring, sprang, sprung

There’s been so much going on at the farm this spring! Which is usual for springtime on farms, I suppose.

After a number of setbacks (mice, irrigation, wild swings in the weather) the greenhouse is up and running for the year and beginning to produce lovely little seedlings for us.

Meanwhile the peas are climbing, and some other veggies emerging from the garden, and we are looking up at what is going to become a bumper crop of apricots if the weather holds.

(photo taken a few weeks ago — it takes a lot longer to write blog posts than to grow peas, turns out)

The beehives are ready for bees to move in next month:
note the lovely observation window, which should make it a lot easier on us, and the bees, when we observe how they’re doing.

Our intern Shelby and I took apart the old Glass Shed (a shed we used to store glass jars and other canning supplies in, which has since been replaced by the Potting Shed, which is larger, solider, and has many fewer cracks for dust to get in through. the Glass Shed had skunks living under it all summer and we decided it was time for it to go.) So we pulled off the asbestos tiles:

And then took it apart:

And then Rev took the pieces, and made a lot more progress on the Tree House beside the Pirate Fort:

Meanwhile, baby turkeys have arrived:

And we’ve had our first flood-irrigation night of the year. In this intensely dry weather, the floodwaters are both a great relief, and a precious precarious resource. We are praying every day for rain.